Whenever your gas furnace is running, carbon monoxide is being produced. However, there is no need to worry. It is a natural result of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is harmlessly deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is kept inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely moved through the flue vent to the outdoors. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Taking in too much carbon monoxide blocks the body from using oxygen and can damage the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can hurt anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s practically impossible to know carbon monoxide is building up in your home. You may not be aware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Introduce carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it looked at. The experts at All Weather Heating & Air Conditioning Inc can make sure your blower motor is installed properly and that they don’t see any flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can collect if there are problems in those territories.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Routine maintenance is the best way to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, your professionals will clean your system and examine it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a decent idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally monitored as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A blockage of airflow caused by a dusty filter can cause carbon monoxide to leak out of your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to frequently check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s specifications.
5. Always depend on professionals to fix your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few precautions. You’ll always have the professionals at All Weather Heating & Air Conditioning Inc in Huntsville behind you to help, too. Give us a call at 256-801-4701 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.