While winter seems like it’s already been going on for far too long, its effect on our heating bill is just starting. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To begin reducing your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a jingle at 256-801-4701. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Huntsville weather.