You’re in the middle of the coldest week of winter and you wake up shivering in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to end up in a scenario like this where it feels like you’re destined to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a handful of things you can take a look at, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay on your toes and have a plan for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you have a better chance at averting a chilly situation.
- Compile supplies. Create some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace is out. It might seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will be nice when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Running:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for a different reason. If this occurs, turn the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is flipped and you have turned it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to schedule an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you keep your body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find something active to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you cozy.
- Stay safe. Employing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods created for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the opportunity is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the team at All Weather Heating & Air Conditioning Inc a call at 256-801-4701 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.